[Tutor] OOP purpose

Andrei Kulakov ak@silmarill.org
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:09:00 -0500

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 12:16:48PM -0600, Cameron Stoner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is the purpose of OOP?  Why  would you use it instead of just modular
> design?  I am having trouble finding the need to use it in my projects.

To sum it up, OOP makes it easier to write and change programs in many
cases. Don't push it on yourself, though - I tried to do that when
I began learning python and I could never make sense of it but it sort
of came with practice a bit later.

Don't use it until you feel some particular task calls for OOP. Then
it'll fall into place. On the other hand, I hear some people code for
decades and still don't feel OOP is useful, so it may be a matter of
personal taste.