[Tutor] command line

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 23:23:22 -0500

On Monday 01 April 2002 05:32 pm, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> > Depends what you include in the "toy" category.
>
> Granted, I really mean things like parameter displays,
> class browsers (for the core libraries, they are useful
> for user defined classes), graphical debuggers - "a sop
> to those who don't understand their own code" - to quote
> one seasoned hack...

I think we're seeing more of an age-old pattern:  pioneers
develop a rustic, effective lifestyle, close to the elements,
They're amazingly competent, with minimalist tools.  Later
generations come along expecting indoor plumbing with hot
and cold running water -- they expect, nay demand, what look
to the pioneers like unnecessary luxuries (and yet they call
this progress!).

By the way, I've been meaning to promote what I consider an
excellent background essay on all this:  'In the Beginning Was
the Command Line' by Neal Stephenson, a good writer.  He
covers a lot of recent history, and without obnoxiously
getting on a narrow-perspective soap box.

Here it is on-line:
http://www.spack.org/words/commandline.html

Kirby