[Tutor] Win XP (was command line)

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 12:42:53 -0800

> alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
>
> Wayyyy off topic but...

(and getting further off....  ;) )

> > After you install Microsoft Windows XP, you have the option to create
> > user accounts.  If you create user accounts, by default, they
> > will have an account type of administrator with no password.
>
> <RANT>
> True on XP Home and a really terrible decision by MS.
> Why not a single administrator and new users either
> Poweruser or restricted user? The latter is too restricted
> for most users but admin is simply insane! Bang goes much
> of XPs security protection! I am seriously considering
> upgrading from Home to Pro just because of this issue.
> </RANT>

Well, this is true of Win XP Pro, too (I've got that on one of my boxes at home).  Of course, it gives you
the *option* to set the privelidges and password to whatever you like -- but if you don't deliberately set
them differently, then you get Admin/None.

Keep in mind that the WinXP target market is people who are upgrading from 98/ME, to whom the concept of
user privelidges is new.  They want to be able to just install software and have it work.  Trying to
explain to them that they need to log in under a different account to install software just leaves them
baffled.  (Trust me on this one. ;) )  Of course, it *would* be reasonable to force a password, and given
that XP has so many features that assume a constant network connection, it's really horrifying that it
*doesn't* require a password, but...  >shrug<

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International