[Tutor] (no subject)

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:01:18 +0200

On  0, Ajaya Babu <ajaya@ncoretech.com> wrote:
> I am using python on windows with IDLE but I want to shift to Linux
> permanently. Can any one suggest me good editor which supports python,
>  like giving keywords in different colour and auto indentation ).

Firstly, IDLE also works on Linux since it was written in portable Python.

Secondly, the traditional Big Two of editors are Emacs and vi (usually vim,
vi improved, now). They have a different philosophy, vi has two modes, a
typing mode and a command mode that you switch between, and emacs has no
modes, you type, and the commands are combinations with ctrl- and alt- keys
and so on. Both have good Python modes, as far as I know.

Personally I am used to Emacs commands, and I use jed, which is a small
editor (an emacs installation is huge, emacs is programmable, everything has
already been programmed, and it comes with everything included), with a good
Python mode and emacs commands.

Both Emacs and vi have a learning curve but are extremely powerful once
you've mastered them.

I've heard that vi can actually be programmed in Python, and I've recently
heard rumours of the same for Emacs.

--
Remco Gerlich