[Tutor] where is CPAN for python?

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 23:03:03 -0700

At 09:46 PM 9/15/2001 -0400, dman wrote:

>Anyays, have you found XFree86 and KDE?  There are prebuilt binaries
>for running with cygwin.  kvt is much better than using a DOS box, and a
>free X server is cool too.
>
>-D

I went the cygwin route on a Windows box once.  But if
you're going so far as to do X server, KDE and the whole
ball of wax, I'd say why not just partition and go with
Linux.  You can still access your Windows files (including
pure Python modules), and you can still boot Windows if
you want (yes, there's also the Windows emulator route).

Of course this may be completely irrelevant to the initial
poster.  I'm just sharing my own experience of finding
cygwin to be rather cumbersome and not that satisfying.
Easier to just add Linux as a boot option.

Alternatively, there are way of installing Linux right
into a Windows partition, on top of FAT32, if you're
willing to take a performance hit.  This too might be
preferable to cygwin.

Anyway, options to consider (I have no idea what CPAN
is -- another warning that this may be off-topic).

Kirby