[Tutor] What to choose - database

Danny Kohn danny.kohn@systematik.se
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:33:07 +0200

Hi.
I am a total newbie having spent the last week to read a lot of stuff =
about Python, coming to think that it could be a good language for my =
program project. My question is regarding databases. The application I =
want to write does probably need some form of database support. It is =
very much material to digest and I am a very slow reader so I would like =
to get some advice which path that might be most successful or easiest.

By background is from 20 years ago when computers, even microcomputers, =
had a control panel and you could single step them. The program language =
was assembler. Have also done some Basic and also in nearer time some =
small tasks in Visual Basic.

Now, I have come to like the MySQL concept although I am not attached to =
it (yet). Now I'm sure my questions seem unenlightened and they are but =
that is what this list is about so here they are.

1. It seems that I can do database access two ways, through the DB-API =
spec v2.0 or through ODBC (which I understand is also support in Linux). =
Is this a correct understanding?

2. If this is so, what way would be the best choice and why?

3. I need to be able to create tables from the program. But I have not =
found any way to do it. How to do this?

4. Does one run SQL to access tables from Python. If so, how is this =
done? If not, what does one do instead? Running through the API? But =
then, what does one do when one want to access the database(s) when the =
"specified" ways are inadequate?

H=E4lsningar / Regards                                 (\_/)  ))
Danny Kohn                 Tel: +46 (0)708 140 300  =3D('.')=3D//  Miau!
Systematik Consulting AB   ICQ: 1328817             ( ~~~ )/   Rrrrrui!
http://www.systematik.se   HAM: SM0NBJ              `w---w=B4=20