[OT] BASIC Factoid (was Re: [Tutor] Functions !)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:59:17 +0100

> > From:	Bruce Sass [SMTP:bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca]
> > 2K on the ZX81, unless you bought one of the RAM expanders
> (16, 32 and 64k sizes).
>
> It was *definitely* only 1K on mine. I ended up getting a 16K
> Ram pack, but if I typed too hard, it would wobble,
> and the ZX81 would crash.

I believe the export version(Timex) did have 2K RAM but the
original only had 1K. The RAM packs became available about
6 months- 1 year later (Jan 1982?) in 4K and 16K versions.
I've never heard of 32K or 64K versions but it wouldn't
surprise me.

By 1984 I had moved to an AMSTRAD PCW8256 running CP/M Plus
- ah the joys of MASM, DR Pascal and Logo, real computing at
last! ;-)

Alan G