[Tutor] MySQL and Python

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:01:27 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Pijus Virketis wrote:

> I wish to write a Python and MySQL script, which will run on my ISP's
> server. After checking the Database SIG on python.org, I gathered that one
> needs the <MySQLdb> module (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python)
> to be installed in order to be able to access a MySQL database from Python.
> My ISP does not have that module installed, and asked me to provide more
> information about it. Before I send those guys off installing software on
> their server, I just want to make sure if this really is the prefered/real
> way of doing things? Is there some general DB API I can use instead that
> comes with basic Pyhon?

Yes, the MySQLdb module by Andy Dustman,

    http://dustman.net/andy/python/MySQLdb

is the module you'll want if you want to work with Python and MySQL.

MySQLdb follows the conventions that most Python database modules follow,
the "DB-API 2.0":

    http://www.python.org/topics/database/DatabaseAPI-2.0.html

and so you can use the functions in the API.

Hope this helps!