[Tutor] new Linux Installation

Andrei Kulakov ak@silmarill.org
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:46:43 -0400

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 06:37:56PM -0400, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
> I am setting up a new Linux server so that I can use Python scripts for CGI processing.  I decided to also include a GUI interface.  It is time to join the 21st century.
>
> I have a choice of Gnome and KDE.  Does it matter?  Presumably I will be using Tkinter for Python based GUI programming.  Does Tkinter care?

You don't have to choose either. There's a plenty of window managers. Most
well known are WindowMaker, Enlightenment, blackbox, icewm.

The idea behind both gnome and kde is to have an integrated environment
like windows so that it's easy for newbies to switch. The tradeoff is that
they're slower and take more memory.

As far as python's concerned, you can run anything.