[Tutor] TypeError: __str__ returned non-string (type DbiRaw)

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:43:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Troy Sorzano wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am a python newbie and having a little problem with dbiRaw.  I am
> connecting via ODBC to a MS SQL 2000 database.  The 3 column in the
> select statement is a BLOB that actually contains text.  I want to
> convert that BLOB into a string but I can not figure out how to.  The
> error I get is "TypeError: __str__ returned non-string (type DbiRaw)"

Dear Troy,

Hi, just checking up on your question; it looks like you haven't gotten an
answer yet.

The error message you're getting seems really weird; the __str__ method of
any Python object should always return some sort of string, but the error
message is saying otherwise.

I have no clue about this either, and can't investigate this since I don't
have a Windows system handy.  You might want to try asking your question
to the Python-win32 mailing list:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/About/Python-win32/

They should have people there who can better look into this problem.  Hope
you can find answers to this problem.  Good luck!