[Tutor] help ;-) [How to Ask Good Questions]

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:41:30 +0200

On  0, Danny Yoo <dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> About rejecting headers with the word "help" in them... er, I don't know
> about that one.  What do other people think about this?

I don't mind them (but heh, I'm not very active here at the moment). I'd
rather hit enter on two "help" messages per day than scare one person away
who'd gotten his first programming question refused because his subject line
was not informative enough.

> In the terms of Lawrence Lessig's book "Code", I'd personally prefer that
> making good message headers (and making good questions) be something
> encouraged by community norms and not enforced by code.  Just my thoughts
> on that.

Well newbies here aren't really part of the programming community yet, are
they? They'll learn about that sort of thing in time. And I don't think we
should start filtering messages until society in general cleans up its act
:-).

--
Remco Gerlich