[Tutor] help ['import' failing?]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 23:51:59 -0700 (PDT)

On 8 Oct 2001, Damian Coughlan wrote:

>           not to go over covered ground but the docviewdoc is in
> lowercase and is not the module Docviewdoc as shown in line 5
> statement saying

> from docviewdoc import Docviewdoc

Is docviewdoc.py something that you've written, or is a package that
someone else has written?  Also, is the file literally 'docviewdoc.py', or
is there some capitalization in the file name?  Computers today are
designed to be fussy, so this detail might matter, silly as it is.

You may want to check to see if 'docviewdoc.py' is in the same directory
as the rest of your program.  If not, then it becomes difficult for Python
to figure out where to look for docviewdoc.  It'll hunt in directories
listed in an environment variable called "PYTHONPATH", but then, it'll
give up, since hunting through hard drive can get expensive.

Let's find where docviewdoc.py is actually located on your computer first.
Can you show where it's located on your computer?

By the way, make sure to reply to "tutor@python.org", and not just to me.
I'm typing this from my laptop, and the small keys make it a little
difficult to type accurately.  I'm often hoping that someone else answers
your question well so you don't have to put up with my misspellings.
*grin*

By emailing the whole list, we do a little bit of load-balancing among all
the tutors, as well as new people who'd like to learn from the questions
asked.

Good luck to you.