[Tutor] rounding up to the nearest penny

Michael P. Reilly arcege@speakeasy.net
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:15:02 -0400

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 08:25:17AM -0500, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> My impression is that when doing financial calculations dollar amounts =
are
> often rounded up to the nearest penny. The round function does a true
> round to the nearest penny. The ceil function doesn't appear to work wi=
th
> floats.

The ceil function is based on the C library function.  From the manpage:
       The  ceil() function rounds x upwards to the nearest inte=AD
       ger, returning that value as a double.

Since a lot of applications don't use ceil a lot, and there is a standard
math solution to get non-whole unit answers, it probably wasn't deemed
necessary to get add that functionality.

>>> amount =3D 1.342
>>> hundredths =3D 100
>>> import math
>>> math.ceil(amount * hundredths) / hundredths
1.35

Unfortunately, you can't get the string formats to do the ceiling
function, but they can do the floor function.

Good luck.

  -Arcege

--=20
| Michael P. Reilly                | arcege@speakeasy.net              |