[Tutor] Client Server Programming

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:57:03 -0400

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:07:53AM +0700, Adinda Praditya wrote:
| hi All,...
|
| I'm gonna build a client/server program controlled by an admin,
| (never built it before). I'd like to know the basic thought of
| making this. What section of manual or docs should i read? Is there
| any API (visual programming) so i can make it easier?

What platform do the components need to run on?  How much low-level
work do you want to do, versus how much work learning and setting up a
middleware package?

For school I have had to write some trivial distributed systems.
First we had to write it using sockets and create our own protocol.
This can be done and doesn't rely on any 3rd party software, but is a
lot of work for little gain.  Then we used RMI (yeah, the course is
taught with Java), and most recently CORBA.  I tried out the CORBA
stuff with Python (using the orbit-python bindings on my Debian box)
and it is really cool and fairly simple to create and use distributed
objects.  I recommend CORBA if you have the flexibility to choose a
good set of bindings to a good orb.

HTH,
-D