[Tutor] Really Newbie! (fwd)

Andrei Kulakov ak@silmarill.org
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:34:53 -0500

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 10:20:32PM -0800, Danny Yoo wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> You probably meant to post on the Tutor mailing list.  You can do this by
> emailing "tutor@python.org".  The email "tutor-admin@python.org" only goes
> to the admins here.
>
> I'll forward your message to the rest of the list.
>
> Good luck to you!

Yes.

Secondly, What are
> the major differences between the different text editors? Which one might
> you recommend to a newbie?

The 2 most popular editors are vim (www.vim.org) and emacs (emacs.org).
I personally prefer vim, which is incidentally is also scriptable in
python, unlike emacs. However, both are rather complex, so if you don't
figure them out right away, you should probably use one of those
slightly souped-up editors like notepad+ or ultraedit.. They're almost
as simple as notepad but give you extra niceties like syntax
highlighting, etc.

Thank you, in advance, to anyone that takes the