[Tutor] tkinter?

Michael P. Reilly arcege@speakeasy.net
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:40:49 -0400 (EDT)

sheri wrote

> ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C0E35B.4DF67360
>
> hello my little script is working just fine thanks to everyone.
> i was looking at the tcl widget demo and saw the file selection
> dialog code which would be really neat to integrate into my program.
> unfortunately i cannot figure out how to do this. is there a nice =
> tkinter
> way of adding this to my program?=20
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C0E35B.4DF67360

There are two file dialog widget sets in Tkinter.  One is built from
the raw Tk(inter) widgets.  The second is newer and uses Tk's new
"native-feel" widgets.

First one (from FileDialog.test):
  from FileDialog import *
  root = Tk()      # Dialog has a bug where it cannot take None as root
  root.withdraw()  # don't display root window
  fd = FileDialog.LoadFileDialog(root)
  loadfile = fd.go(key="test")
  fd = FileDialog.SaveFileDialog(root)
  savefile = fd.go(key="test")
  print loadfile, savefile

Second one (from tkFileDialog main code):
  import tkFileDialog
  print "open" askopenfilename(filenames=[('all filez", "*")])
  print "saveas", asksaveasfilename()

The advantage of the first is that it is easier to reuse the widget (and
to make subclasses).  The second looks more like a X-Windows/WinXX/Mac
file dialog.

  -Arcege

| Michael P. Reilly                | arcege@speakeasy.net              |