[Tutor] encryption

Daniel Coughlin kauphlyn@speakeasy.org
Tue, 22 May 2001 15:12:02 -0700 (PDT)

First off i think using a dictionary would help you enormously:

dict = {'a':'1','b':'2' ... }

then your function could look something like this:

def letters(ltter):
	dict = {'a':'1','b':'2' ... }
	print dict[ltter]

then you could do your translation like this:

>c = 'aaabbb'
>for letter in c:
>	letters(letter)
1
1
1
2
2
2

or put the values where ever you need to. I think using a dictionary would be a
lot faster than using if statements.