[Tutor] Education vs Employment

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 15 May 2001 15:27:09 -0700

>	I agree with everything previously mentioned re the advantages of a
>(Liberal) Arts background, but the sad fact is that IT employers (including
>mine) have a 'tick sheet'. They use this to shortlist as few candidates as
>possible for each position - 'Drivers License - Tick; IT Degree : Tick' etc.

Well, I think I can most concisely say why I value my liberal arts
degree in the following manner:

I learned more about the business of being a coder from Machiavelli
than from Knuth.
--
_Deirdre     Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com      http://deirdre.net
Macintosh Developer (seeking work): Will work for Cocoa