[Tutor] Total Programming Newbie

Rob Andrews randrews@planhouse.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 09:00:16 -0500

You seem to have the right idea. Keep looking over the material in any books
and tutorials you can find, play with the code of others, and make use of
the Python Tutor email list by looking at the archives and asking questions
on the list here.

It's not necessary to wait until after you feel like you've mastered any
given book before spending some time coding. Try and write any scripts you
can now, and as you piece them together, you can use the books/tutorials for
ideas and to help figure out how to do whatever it is you're trying at the
moment.

Rob
Useless Python
http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/pythonsource.html

-----Original Message-----
From: tutor-admin@python.org [mailto:tutor-admin@python.org]On Behalf Of
Anthony Beaman
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 8:48 AM
To: 'tutor@python.org'
Subject: [Tutor] Total Programming Newbie

Hi! I'm beginning to learn programming via Python. I'm using the Windows
version along with the "24 Hours" book. Do you have any tips on learning
programming? I've searched the net for general programming tips and I've
found just a few. From what I've read, I should use a book (material), study
the code of others (copy? Make changes? Improvise?), and do lots of
practice. If this is correct, how do I go about this? For example, I can put
in 2-3 hours a day (more on the weekends). How should I use my time? Should
I use the book for an hour or so and then use the remaining time to code?
Should I look over existing code later after I've gone through some books
and gotten more knowledge? How should I use my practice sessions? Right now,
I'm merely going over my exercises and examples and making changes to them
(incorporating what I know; sorta like improvising). Is this ok? Thanks!