[Tutor] Text Editor?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 17:13:45 +0100

> What text editor would you guys recommend using?

The best one.

I use about 3 or 4 editors every day according to the job I'm doing.
For editting python code, which I assume is what you are asking
us about I use:

IDLE - for quick prototyping

PythonWin for its folding capabilities(SciTE will have
those too coz its built into scintilla...)

vim for seriously long editing sessions

ntnot(aka notgnu) a lightweight emacs clone for creating
seriously long new files.
(I prefer emacs to vi for creating text but vi to emacs
for editing existing text...)

Otherwise I use:

For email on unix I use xjove(another lightweight emacs with
better OS integration)

For email on Windows I use Eudora at home and Outlook at work

For HTML documents I use vim or Homesite as the mood takes me

And for tty access to emote unix boxes I use ed.

I like them all for the things I use them for.

I repeat use the best tool for the job. For editing Python code
use anything that can do syntax highlighting, indent/exdent
of regions and good searching is always useful.

Otherwise play with a few and use the one that suits you best.
The only editors I didn't like were teco and Openwindow's
textedit(I don't know why...)

Alan g