[Tutor] 15 puzzle

Rick Pasotto rick@niof.net
Thu, 10 May 2001 10:56:21 -0400

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 10:10:10AM +0100, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
> > How old is 2.0 now? 8 months? We can't keep giving 1.5.2 solutions
> > forever
>
> Normal commercial vendor arrangements is to support the last 2
> versions thus on the next major release(ie 2.2?) we could drop
> "support" for 1.5 (assuming 1.6 doesn't count!)
>
> OTOH Many companies including mine will not upgrade more than once per
> year and then only to the (current - 1) version. Thus the most recent
> version of Python I can use is 1.5.1 and we won't upgrade till July,
> probably to 2.0...
>
> So on that basis we should offer support for at least 1 calander year
> after a version is superceded.
>
> Given the pace of change in open source software I'd favour the later
> option.

This works for me.

I run debian linux and debian is very meticulous about making sure that
everything in a release works together and consequently debian releases
are relatively rare.

I can easily install the 2.0 python itself from the debian unstable but
the corresponding Tkinter requires the new X and that requires lots of
other new stuff. Not an easy or safe upgrade.

--
And why do the political parties aspire to take over the direction
of education? Because they know the saying of Leibnitz: "Make me