[Tutor] Windows Programs vs. Text-Cell Graphics

Tim Johnson tim@johnsons-web.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:31:40 -0900

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 12:11:20PM -0900, Tim Johnson wrote:
> | On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> |
> | > Ncurses. Curses (and ncurses, "new curses") is a library for putting text on
> | > some place on a terminal (or screen). Writing directly to video memory is
> | > silly, this is not the 80s...
> |
> | Not silly on a 16-bit app. Very fast and clean actually....
>
> Clean if you only want it to work in a single environment.  Curses is
> environment agnostic.   If you wanted your app to run on both a VT100
> and TN3270 and XTerm use curses.  If you want to write it 3 times use
> direct access to the terminal.
I haven't done anything 16-bit in years. My reference to direct video access
was to distinguish between that and some of the other techniques that
were used like writing to BIOS or ansi.sys. I know .... I'm dating myself

> | > Curses is cross platform, works over Telnet, etc.
> |
> | Just curious, but I'd like to see the source code. Where is it available?
>
> Check with any Linux distribution.
Yes, is on my machine, and I have been looking on it.
<Sigh> Most of my customers blanch when they see "text graphics"
these days, but it is still valid. On Window$, ZTree leaves windows
explorer in the dust. and on my RH machine, xnftp leaves Igloo behind
easily </sigh>
thanks
--
Tim Johnson