[Tutor] Windows Programs vs. Text-Cell Graphics

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:32:01 -0500

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 12:11:20PM -0900, Tim Johnson wrote:
| On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, you wrote:
|
| > Ncurses. Curses (and ncurses, "new curses") is a library for putting text on
| > some place on a terminal (or screen). Writing directly to video memory is
| > silly, this is not the 80s...
|
| Not silly on a 16-bit app. Very fast and clean actually....

Clean if you only want it to work in a single environment.  Curses is
environment agnostic.   If you wanted your app to run on both a VT100
and TN3270 and XTerm use curses.  If you want to write it 3 times use
direct access to the terminal.

| > Curses is cross platform, works over Telnet, etc.
|
| Just curious, but I'd like to see the source code. Where is it available?

Check with any Linux distribution.

-D