[Tutor] Real World Python

Pedro Diaz Jimenez pdiaz88@terra.es
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:34:38 +0100

On Thursday 15 March 2001 21:59, you wrote:
> Hello all (or, as we say here in AggieLand, "Howdy!"),
>
> This is sort of off-topic, but I thought it was interesting.  I was reading
> the latest gaming column at ArsTechnica
> (<http://arstechnica.com/etc/games/>), and at the bottom of the column,
> they have their weekly cheat codes. This week, it's for a game called
> "Blade of Darkness".  They tell you to enable the codes, you have to make
> changes to your menu.py file.  ".py!?!  Hey!". I thought, "They're using
> Python to configure this game!...and I recognized it!...and I know some
> (ok, very little) Python!  Wow!"
I knew that. They are spanish people and the talked in a conference at my
university. Pretty interesting

> Ok, maybe I overreacted, but for a Python novice like myself, it was pretty
> cool.  I even understood the seven lines of code they wanted you to add to
> the config file.
I have a feeling that is more dificult to make a python code
non-understandable than to make a perl code understandable ;D

> Ok, the point?  I thought it might be interesting if we posted some of the
> more down to earth Real World uses of Python when we came across them.  The
> question seems to keep coming up (especially from newer people) about what
> can be done with Python or who's using Python.  I mean, a lot of us have
> heard about how NASA and Disney and ILM are using it, but how many of us
> (especially people new to the language) are going to be working in or
> visiting any of those places any time soon? (I think Ron and I probably
> live closest to NASA's JSC...I'm not planning any trips in the near future,
> how about you Ron?) On the other hand, the Blade of Darkness demo is
> included on the Maximum PC CD that came in the mail earlier this week, and
> is on newstands now.  I suddenly have more incentive to install the
> demo.  It seems that if we had more of these examples, the answer to that
> oft-asked question could become, "You can use Python in about 10
> minutes.  Just go load up that game/app that uses it and get to typing!"
>
> That's my idea.  What do the rest of you think?

More real-world examples:
freebsd.org)
- -blender: 3d modeler that uses python as an extension languaje

c-u

Pedro