[Tutor] Signals

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:26:16 -0000

> Where is a good tutorial for signals?

Let's first confirm what you mean by 'signals'.
Which OS? - I normally associate signals with *nix
and its signal() system call, but you might be
meaning the more general meaning of catching
interrupts or some other kind of 'signal' from
hardware...

> I have a need to parse data from an ISA bus
> board to a database.

So the hardware raises an interrupt which is
translated into a *nix signal? You then want
to read from the hardware (via an IO port?)
and store the parsed data in a database?

If so, then the best place to start is at the
low level C signal call and the hardware vendors
specs for reading the IO port...

Alternatively if you have the excellent O'Reilly
book "Unix Systems Programming" look it up in there.

If that's a wrong interpretation of your request
please clarify and ask about the specific thing
you need help with.

Alan G.