[Tutor] how do i link up the file and the interpreter?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:26:48 -0000

> windows] but since i'm on the net most of the time i use
> windows.so right now i'm using active python to run the code

OK, Thats probably a wise choice for Windows.

> and at the same time include a module file 'test.py'.can i set a path
> env in active python to link to my testfiles dir?

Yes, use the PYTHONPATH env var with the same syntax as
the DOS PATH variable. (The same applies in Unix BTW just
use the shell PATH variable syntax...)

> i tried but the edit path doesnt seem to work.

Within Pythonwin IDE changes to the path should be
reflected in the registry and be persistent...

>    Also i tried to run the python cmd from the dos prompt but bad
> cmd or filename.i recall i should be adding a path env statement in
> autoexec.bat

Correct, although the CNRI installer seems to do
that by default the new BeOpen one doesn't - for shame!.
Presumably Active Python follows the BeOpen route
- for greater shame, since its supposed to be Windoze friendly!

Alan g