[Tutor] Python Daemon(Service)

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:22:04 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Tim Johnson wrote:

> Aha!! Now I know who to personally thank ..... This is a great list.
> Thank You!! Dierdre

In fairness, I didn't start the list, Wes and I took it over when David
Ascher (of "Learning Python" fame) wanted to retire. :)

> > The number of Windows users asking Windows-specific questions on the list
> > has been rising. While I'm not a fan of Windows, I consider this a Good
> > Thing and just part of the wider adoption of Python.

> And hopefully they will continue to rise..... python offers options to
> the more expensive (and sometimes very manipulative)  vendors....

It wasn't until I became a sysadmin that I respected the power that
programmers have and often aren't aware of. Knowing that you can write
something that can control a computer's actions is very powerful and I
wholly support Guido's "Computer Programming For Everyone" concept.

> I don't have any windows-specific projects coming up, but when I do
> see them, I know Python is going to play a big role. From what I have
> seen of Mark Hammond's work (Python on Win32s), he has gotten a lot of
> exposure to the windows api there for the taking.

It does seem like a really good book, but I don't have the basis to judge
it.

> perhaps there is someone with the ActivePython group or the Starship
> group that could get involved?

Tutor admins tend to come from long-standing posters to the tutor list as
they're self-selected. I'll ask though.

--
_Deirdre   NEW Stash-o-Matic: http://fuzzyorange.com  http://deirdre.net
                                                         - Douglas Adams