[Tutor] basics of networking programming

Kojo Idrissa kojo@tamu.edu
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 02:26:53 -0600

--=====================_13641731==_.ALT

That's sort of my problem...I've got a projects based class now, and I
don't know what the hell I'm doing!!
:-)

Seriously, I understand most of it conceptually, it's the "how to do this
in C" part that's giving me problems.  Your comment that the Python network
interfaces are similar to the ones in C lit a spark of hope in my otherwise
frazzled mind.

I can talk to my prof. and see if he'd mind us using the stuff we do in
class for the list.  So far, it's been
    * Modify this TCP Server and Client code and add some timestamping so
you can measure performance at different packet sizes
    * Similar to above, but with UDP Server and Client (that's due
Saturday...Ugh)

At 12:21 AM 3/8/01 -0800, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Kojo Idrissa wrote:
>
> > Hey, while we're on the subject, I got an idea from what Deirdre said
> > below.  I'm taking a Networking class now (and it's killing me!) where
> > we're doing socket programming in C (which I'm not very familiar
> > with).  Would it be helpful to me to learn how to do similar stuff in
> > Python (which I'm more familiar with and I find easier to learn/get
> > help with)?
> >
> > I've got Vol. 1 of the Stevens book already, but I think it's my weak
> > C skills that are holding me back.
> >
> > Any input is appreciated.  Thanks,
>
>Actually, it might be helpful to have a sort of a project-based "class" on
>the list -- sort of a "work along with Stevens" for those who are
>interested. It might warrant an additional list if there's so much
>interest that it overwhelms this list.
>
>--
>_Deirdre   NEW Stash-o-Matic: http://fuzzyorange.com  http://deirdre.net
>"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
>                                                          - Douglas Adams

****************************
Kojo Idrissa
KPMG Scholar
Accounting Doctoral Student
Texas A&M University

Kojo@tamu.edu
401M Wehner Bldg.
979-862-2726
****************************
--=====================_13641731==_.ALT

That's sort of my problem...I've got a projects based class now, and I
don't know what the hell I'm doing!!<br>
:-)<br>
Seriously, I understand most of it conceptually, it's the &quot;how to do
this in C&quot; part that's giving me problems.&nbsp; Your comment that
the Python network interfaces are similar to the ones in C lit a spark of
hope in my otherwise frazzled mind.<br>
I can talk to my prof. and see if he'd mind us using the stuff we do in
class for the list.&nbsp; So far, it's been
<ul>
<li>Modify this TCP Server and Client code and add some timestamping so
you can measure performance at different packet sizes
<li>Similar to above, but with UDP Server and Client (that's due
Saturday...Ugh)
</ul><br>
At 12:21 AM 3/8/01 -0800, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:<br>
wrote:<br>
&gt; Hey, while we're on the subject, I got an idea from what Deirdre
said<br>
&gt; below.&nbsp; I'm taking a Networking class now (and it's killing
me!) where<br>
&gt; we're doing socket programming in C (which I'm not very
familiar<br>
&gt; with).&nbsp; Would it be helpful to me to learn how to do similar
stuff in<br>
&gt; Python (which I'm more familiar with and I find easier to
learn/get<br>
&gt; help with)?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I've got Vol. 1 of the Stevens book already, but I think it's my
weak<br>
&gt; C skills that are holding me back.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Any input is appreciated.&nbsp; Thanks,<br>
Actually, it might be helpful to have a sort of a project-based
&quot;class&quot; on<br>
the list -- sort of a &quot;work along with Stevens&quot; for those who
are<br>
interested. It might warrant an additional list if there's so much<br>
interest that it overwhelms this list.<br>
--<br>
_Deirdre&nbsp;&nbsp; NEW Stash-o-Matic:
.com
</a>

&quot;I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly
by.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Douglas Adams</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
**************************** <br>