[Tutor] File Copying on Win98

Timothy M. Brauch tbrauch@mindless.com
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:54:54 -0500

Is there a way to copy a file from one place to another in Win 98 with
Python 2.0.  The following does *not* work.

import os

contents_0=os.listdir('../CIM2kCD/')

try:
    os.mkdir('C:/Program Files/CIM2k/')
except: pass

for item in contents_0:
   file=open('../CIM2kCD/'+item,'rb').read()
   new=open('C:/Program Files/CIM2kCD/'+item,'w')
   new.write('C:/Program Files/CIM2k/'+item)

This produces the following error:

Traceback (innermost last)
  File "d:\cim2kcd\list.py", line 11, in ?
    new=open('C:/Program Files/CIM2kCD/'+item,'w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
  'C:/Program Files/CIM2kCD/CIM2k.htm'

I understand why it gives me that error, I am trying to open a file that
doesn't exist.  But, how else can I copy a file.

All I am trying to do is copy the files in one directory into another
directory.  I know there has to be a way to do this, but I cannot for
the life of me figure out how.  Also, the files have all kinds of
extensions, like .jpg, .html, .gif, .exe, and others.

 - Tim