[Tutor] Can't Launch IDLE from Linux System

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 17:44:09 -0500

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 03:43:00AM -0800, Britt Green wrote:
| Howdy,
|
| I just got Mandrake 7.2 up and running. When I try to start IDLE, I get the
| following error message:

Mandrake is rpm-based right?  Try and find a mandrake rpm for Tkinter.
If you go to the BeOpen site, I believe they have source rpms for
Python 2.0.  Get it and run

rpm --rebuild NameOfSourceRpm.srpm

to build rpms of python and tkinter specifically for your system.
Then install them.

I always liked to build the srpms when I was running a RedHat system.
Now I use Debain ;-).

(
  $ apt-get install python2-tk

  apt will resolve all dependencies such as the interpreter itself
)

-D