[Tutor] Re: Software Design

Stevenson M Hickey sthickey@juno.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 23:35:39 -0800

I don't think that you are in the right forum for Software Design.

In the Master's Program at Ball State University, there are approximately
10 semester long courses that seek to prepare one for Software Design and
IMHO, fail.

I have not been current on design for some time, but common sense helps.

First there has to be a really good Needs Analysis so that you know what
the program is to produce.  Then you need some Functional Analysis, so
that you know what modules you will need and what functions have to be
written, not to mention what functions that do not need to be written.

If you get past this point, then there is the Algorithm Design to think
of for anything more than a simple 25 line Function.

OOPS, I almost forgot:  DOCUMENTATION and ERROR CONTROL DESIGN.

Then there is the CODING!

Then the Testing. ETC ETC

Stevenson Hickey

PS, then, when you think that you are done, the CLIENT SAYS:  Why doesn't
it do "X"??  AND you REALIZE THAT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO X!!