[Tutor] General Programming Question

M.A. Powe michael@trollope.org
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:06:07 -0700

    >> > Well, at least recognize how the very few operations there
    >> are in > programming are translated into the multitude of
    >> paradigms you see.

    >> An excellent point and the reason my web tutor uses 3 languages
    >> rather than just Python (which my book does at my publishers
    >> insistence) because I strongly believe that seeiung the same
    >> construct in 3 different ways emphasises the construct rather
    >> than the language idioms. Of course that does introduce an
    >> element of confusuion until that whole premis sinks in.

    Roman> Yes, it is certain plus, even if languages arent that
    Roman> different.

    Roman> The different point is HOW to teach programming at all. My
    Roman> point is, that language doesn't matter at initial
    Roman> stage. (It an be everything, including programmable
    Roman> calculator code). Programming skill is universal. After
    Roman> getting it (getting thru barrier), one can learn whatever
    Roman> s/he chooses easily.

Language does matter, I think.  The big argument over language is, how
much time do you spend teaching syntax vs how much time do you spend
teach actual programming?  Unfortunately, IMO, for too many people,
programming == language.

The point of using Scheme is that it has an extremely simple syntax
which can be learned, literally, in a few days.  You can't even get
close to an OO language without first slogging through the theory of
OOP. This makes OO languages poor choices for a 'how to program'
courses.  Unfortunately, these days almost all these courses are
taught using C++ or Java because of the false equivalence stated
above.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Portland, Oregon USA
'Unless we approve your idea, it will not be permitted, it will not be