[Tutor] General Programming Question

M.A. Powe michael@trollope.org
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:53:54 -0700

>>>>> "alan" == alan gauld <alan.gauld@bt.com> writes:

    alan> I just think it tends to take a very singular view of
    alan> programming.

    >> However, this is like criticizing a dog for having four legs
    >> and not walking on only two.  Take a look at some of the
    >> peculiarities of Python.

    alan> But here is the important point SCIP does not explicitly
    alan> purport to be about Scheme per se but rather about
    alan> programming in general.  In that sense I believe it presents
    alan> a very narrow view of programming, albeit a very pure and
    alan> mathematically well formed view. But I don't think it would,
    alan> make it easy for the reader to adapt to other more commonly
    alan> seen languages. It is still a good book, and I do think many
    alan> Pythonistas would learn a lot from it but I just don't think
    alan> it addresses the basics of programming - I/O is barely
    alan> touched on for example.

But, programming is not about I/O.  Implementation is about I/O.
Programming is about designing solutions to problems.

    >> Every language requires you to adopt its paradigm.

    alan> Sure and when I program in Python I do it very differently
    alan> to how I do it when I use Lisp(mainly in emacs!) but SCIP
    alan> purports to be about something more than just teahing the
    alan> Scheme language.  Thus once someone has learnt Python
    alan> picking up SCIP and reading it will open up a whole new
    alan> viewpoint on wehat programming is about. A useful read and
    alan> the lessons translate well back into Python but I'd never
    alan> recommend SCIP as a first book on programming. Now in a
    alan> college context with tutors available etc thats a different
    alan> story...

No, I wouldn't recommend it either, since it totally snowed me.  ;-)
It definitely is a classroom text book, and like most such books,
assumes an instructor and an interactive environment such as the
classroom.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Portland, Oregon USA
'Unless we approve your idea, it will not be permitted, it will not be