[Tutor] General Programming Question

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:02:01 +0100

> > For learning scheme, you might consider the book:
> >
> > "Structure and Interpretationof Computer Programs" by Harold
> > Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman and Julie Sussman.
>
> Having just finished it I'll second the motion. Its a very good
> book that anyone intertested on programming should read. However
> it does tend to suffer(like many Lisp books) from the "When all
> you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" approach
> to life. Recursion is all - other loop constructs are not mentioned.

Having sent this prematurely due to finger trouble I'll add the line
I meant to type:

> to life. Recursion is all - other loop constructs are not mentioned.

Despite the fact that Lisp does support other more conventional
loop contructs.

sorry,

Alan G.

PS Does anyone know the hot key for Send in Outlook?
I'd like to disable it coz I've been bitten by this several
times (coz I'm a fast and careless 2 fingered typist!).