[Tutor] GUI die when execute sys.exit()

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:52:27 -0500

A revitalization effort has begun for IDLE, with Guido's blessings, and
adding this feature (app in separate process) is probably *the* top
priority. Join the IDLE Developers discussion list to keep up with the new
project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/idlefork/

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech
"I am, therefore I think."

-----Original Message-----
From: tutor-admin@python.org [mailto:tutor-admin@python.org]On Behalf Of
D-Man
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 3:18 PM
To: tutor-request-python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] GUI die when execute sys.exit()

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 10:00:29PM +0200, Gregor Lingl wrote:
| D-Man schrieb:
|
| | Oh, yeah, I should mention that the current python IDEs (PythonWin
| | and IDLE come to mind) run your code in the same interpreter the
| | IDE runs in.  If you call sys.exit(), well, it will exit <wink>.
| | (I guess that's what you meant, PythonWin died, not "the gui")
| -----
|
| Couldn't that bei fixed by using different threads for the gui and the
app?

No, it would still be in the same process.  The code probably is run
in a different thread (certainly not the GUI's event thread -- if it
was the GUI would "freeze").

| Why is this not done?

It needs to be run in a separate process (intpreter).  This is hard to
do, especially to provide the sort of control you need when debugging.
No one has volunteered to implement this sort of thing yet.

-D