[Tutor] Re: General Programming Question

Chris Keelan rufmetal@home.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:18:30 -0500

On Wednesday 27 June 2001 00:48, Michael wrote:

> Yes, and well they should!  Unfortunately, it's not a good book for an
> autodidact unless you've a pretty good mathematical background or some
> kind of natural skill with math concepts.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it will take me about five years to
work my way through SICP. This because I don't have an engineering/
mathematics bacground and programming isn't my "real job". Still, I think
it's worth the slog.

>  <Scheme and the Art of
> Programming> is better but still a tough row to hoe.  I have a goodly
> collection of Scheme books.  Books are no substitute for grey matter,
> I'm afraid.  At least <The Little Schemer> was fun!

Agree with you there. TLS, side-by-side with How To Design Programs is an
excellent way to get introduced to Scheme. And I think that functional
programming with Scheme is a great adjunct to developing with Python.

- Chris