[Tutor] Re: Tutor digest, Vol 1 #909 - 10 msgs

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:35:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Risto Peranen wrote:

> I'm part of game programming project. Does anyone know where can I
> find info or even existing modules for talk-ai.

Hmmmm!  This sounds interesting!

> In the game you can just negotiate with strangers rather than kill 'em
> all. That's our problem but it would be cool if you can also talk with
> strangers - even with limited ai. Sure I know the basics of making
> such a silly ai, but I have never made one.

There's a program called AliceBot:

    http://www.alicebot.org/

that I've heard rave reviews from.  Supposedly, the conversations with
AliceBot border on something almost coherant.  *grin*

However, I haven't been able to find Python bindings for it yet --- you
might be able to request them from the author.  (Or perhaps make it a
Useless Challenge for someone to try out!)  It would be very neat if you
could get it working in your game.

One of the first AI programs written was called Eliza, and someone's
written an Eliza program in Python here:

    http://www.strout.net/python/ai/