[Tutor] Curses programming

ak@silmarill.org ak@silmarill.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:24:51 -0400

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 01:43:19PM -0400, Michael P. Reilly wrote:
> sill@optonline.net wrote
> > Try looking at some existing curses-based application, I know that's hard but
> > personally tutoring someone through a complete application, well, people who
> > are *that* nice are probably too busy working for red cross. ;-)
> >
> > OTOH I'm also meaning to start working on a curses-based irc client real-soon-
> > now. I guess if I do get around to that, I could post incremental versions
> > online, that's probably much easier to study by than looking at a huge
> > completed program.
>
> A couple of years ago I created an irc client that could handle (and comes
> with) a tkinter and a curses interface, as well as dummy/batch interface.
> It is probably overly complicated, but I designed it all as a framework,
> not a specific client.

> No docs, probably not a lot of comments, unfinished.  But it might give
> you some ideas how to get curses working well, and how they match up
> with GUI systems.

Yeah, I was looking at it a few months before and I think the problem was that
I couldn't connect to EFnet in it (OPN worked fine though). Also, I'm not good
enough at python to understand how it works, there's too many interwining
classes inheriting from here and there, so I sort of got lost in it. I couldn't
quite wrap my brains around the OO framework. Although that was a while ago,
now I that I got much more python under my belt, I think I'll take another look
:-).

By the way, do you use it actively for your own irc'ing?