[Tutor] Please send messages only to the list.

M.A. Powe michael@trollope.org
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:31:30 -0700

    D-Man> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:39:40PM -0700, Sheila King
    D-Man> wrote: | On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:33:24 -0400,
    D-Man> sill@optonline.net wrote about Re: | [Tutor] Please send
    D-Man> messages only to the list.: | | :I think mutt's 'L' command
    D-Man> replies only to list, do other mail clients | :have similar
    D-Man> commands? I myself never got a double message from this |
    D-Man> :list but I guess it could be somewhat annoying if it was
    D-Man> happening all | :the time.  | | I think that mutt's "L"
    D-Man> command is fairly unique. I, personally, know of | no other
    D-Man> client that has this.

    D-Man> gnus has it too (or whatever the email part of emacs is
    D-Man> called, obviously I use mutt too -- check the X-Mailer
    D-Man> header).  There is a header called "Mail-Followup-To" that
    D-Man> lists where followups should be sent.  Mutt allows me to
    D-Man> specify lists that I am subscribed to, and lists that you
    D-Man> are not.  When I send a message to a list I am subscribed
    D-Man> to the Mail-Followup-To has only the list's address.  When
    D-Man> someone else use's the list-reply function ("L" in mutt)
    D-Man> the reply is sent only to the list.  If I am not subscribed
    D-Man> to a list I send a message to (or I specify that I want a
    D-Man> double copy) mutt puts my address in that header field as
    D-Man> well.  It is a pretty cool feature, really, because people
    D-Man> get to choose whether or not they get the extra copy from
    D-Man> other people.

    D-Man> (BTW mutt also allows customization of which headers are
    D-Man> displayed and in what order when viewing a message.  I
    D-Man> really like this too :-))

    D-Man> | I almost always get double replies to this list, but as I
    D-Man> noted, it | doesn't bother me. (I just made a decision that
    D-Man> it wasn't worth it to | fuss over, because I wouldn't
    D-Man> change everyone's opinion on this one.)

    D-Man> I don't pay enough attention to whether or not I got a
    D-Man> double copy.  I just delete the extra one and move the
    D-Man> other to the list's folder.

    D-Man> | Now, you are using mutt, and apparently used the "L"
    D-Man> command, so I | didn't get two copies of *this* message.

    D-Man> That means you don't have your address in the
    D-Man> Mail-Followup-To header.  I just went back and checked,
    D-Man> there is no Mail-Followup-To header in your message, so
    D-Man> mutt didn't give you an extra copy.  Some (most, AFAIK)
    D-Man> mailers just ignore the header.

In fact, MailMan's default behavior is just broken.  Sorry, but the
'reply-to munging harmful' arguments don't wash. 90% of the mailing
list users should not have to adjust their mailers to accomodate the
10% who don't want to.  Speaking as a listowner who uses MailMan.  The
default behavior should be 'reply to list.'

mp

--
			     Michael Powe
	      looie@aracnet.com     michael@trollope.org