[Tutor] What are you all up to?

Stephen Lastinger s.lastinger@computernetdesign.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:34:26 -0400 (EDT)

Damn, why doesn't everyone just make me feel old
: )

I'm a 31 year old sr. Linux/Unix sys adm. and so far have mainly used it
to (somewhat - keyword here is 'learning') used it to add to my
administrative abilities.  I took a look at perl (no I'm not trying to
start a holy war here), but the syntax drove me nutty!

I'm really interested in using tk but haven't quite gotten that
far yet.

As far as projects....well I won't list any of the too serious ones, but
as far as scratching an itch goes, I would love to write (not
in any particular order):
* a gui configuration util. for my (current) fav. window mgr.
* a much more eyecandy/colorful cd player than xplaycd
  (and on that note, the same applies to xmixer)
* a kick-ass widget set based on/using tk and pmw and apps based on said
widget set.

There are others, but I figure by the time I finish these, then I will be
ready to write commercial grade multi-platform server
applications (or helper apps ; )
- even if just the front ends and prototyping the engine for
later recode in something like c, or c++.

I really see Python being like a faster development language and usable in
places where most would see java - but then again that may just be my
inexperience and lack of desire to learn java talking.

-Stephen

--
Stephen Lastinger	 - s.lastinger@computernetdesign.com
Computer Network Design,Inc.  - http://www.computernetdesign.com