[Tutor] win98 path (fwd)

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:55:43 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jordan,

Hmmm... I haven't had a chance to look at Teach Yourself Python in 21
Hours, though the title seems a bit... hasty.  *grin* I think you mean 21
days.  In any case, you shouldn't have to worry too much about platform
dependent stuff: the core of Python works the same on Windows, Unix, Mac,
and anything else out there.

Here's the syntax for the "Press enter to continue" thing:

###
raw_input("Please press enter to continue.")
###

If you put that line at the end, then Python will wait until you type
enter.  The real purpose of raw_input() is to allow users to type
information for a program, but in a pinch, raw_input() also works well as
something to stop the program from closing prematurely.

Oh, finally, make sure to do the "Reply to All" thing on tutor email, so
that others can answer your questions too.

Good luck to you!  Hope this helps.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 9:58:04 +1000
From: Jordan Stanley <jstanley@start.com.au>
To: "dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu" <dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: [Tutor] win98 path

i bought a book called sams teach yourself python in 21 hours. its
quite good, except that it doesnt give win or *nix egs it just has
generic code, and doesnt tell you how to stop the code just exiting
straight away. someone else i think glen wheeler wrote me about it
some thing like raw input "press any key to continue" but i dont know
the correct syntax for that.

thanks

jordan

By the way, which examples are you looking at?