[Tutor] importing modules

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 00:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Rik Klaver wrote:

> I have downloaded some modules (or packages), which I've already put under
> the 'Python21' folder in Win98. My problem is: Python lets me import some,
> such as dynwin, pmw and pingo, but not the Mmtk20, Numeric and Htmlgen. For
> some modules Python raises a SystemError.

Hmmm... This is a little strange!  Mmtk (The Molecular Modeling
Toolkit) at:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/MMTK/

says that it needs both ScientificPython and Numeric Python to get things
running.  At the same time, it looks like you might need the netCDF
library too!  Whew.  This might be a little ugly.

It might be good to get Numeric Python working first, and then get MmTk20
working.  To get Scientific Python, try downloading here:

    http://basic.netmeg.net/godzilla/

You can download the netcdf and scientific_netcdf dll libraries, which
you'll probably want to copy somewhere... can anyone give details on where
it's supposed to go on Win98?  I believe it should go within the
site-packages/ directory, but I could be very wrong about this.

About Htmlgen, hmmm... I'm not quite sure.  Are you using WinZip to unzip
the files?  If so, you should have been ok; WinZip does the right thing
with long file names.  Can you tell us where exactly you're copying them
to --- just in the Python21 folder, or in one of the smaller subfolders
there?

Installing new software is always a pain; I hope that this can be fixed
quickly.  Good luck to you!