[Tutor] Access to Windows Timers / Idle "states"??

Javier JJ python.tutorial@jarava.org
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 01:57:04 +0200

Hi all!!

After some "lurking" on the list (and not too much time to program, either
:-) I've decided to jump with both feet in :-)

I'm trying to make a program that can handle "timers" (ie, set a timer for
"x" seconds later) and / or "register" itself to recieve windows events.

The idea is, when I launch this program, I want to be able to set a certain
amount of time after whihc I want my program to do something (namely, kill
another program :-)

At the moment, the "killing another program" would be handled with the
pslist and pskill utils from sysinternals, so I "only" want to be able to
set a timer...

Alternatively, I'd like to be able to "know" when the "idle" process kicks
in, like to know when the countdown for the screensaver starts....

The thing is, I have a program that every now and then locks itself solid
and the only way out is a hard reboot (even in W2k, ctrl-alt-del won't work,
even though the OS "seems" to be getting the keys, and the mouse cursor
moves). So, I'd like to be able to "sense" when the OS hasn't been getting
any imput (keys / mouse) for a set period of time and, if that happens,
it'll just kill the offending process....

Am I making any sense at all?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    Javier

----

Hm..what's this red button fo:=/07<NO CARRIER