[Tutor] command prompt HOWTO (long)

ak@silmarill.org ak@silmarill.org
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:09:04 -0400

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 06:15:03AM +0200, Cynic wrote:
> At 20:18 4.6. 2001 -0700, Stephen L Arnold wrote:
> >Howdy:
> >
> >Judging from the lone response I got, I guess I've been expunged
> >from the list, consigned to the bit-bucket, redirected to /dev/null
> >8-o
> >
> >Here it is, but it needs some work (some of the longer lines may
> >get wrapped in transit).  I'm open to suggestions...
> >
> >Python Command Prompt mini-HOWTO
>
> I think you should be more to the point -- strip anything not related
> to python, namely stuff like this:
>
> >Line 1: @C:\UTILS\NAV\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
> >
> >This line is for Norton Antivirus for Win95. If you don't have it,
> >don't worry (but you should probably have some form of virus
> >protection).
>
> If I were looking for a quick guide to setting up my machine for Python,
> and found a 14kB of stuff largely OT, I wouldn't be very happy.

I'd like to second that - when I was learning linux ~3 years ago, this was
the major stumbling block for me - most of written help is overwhelming.
I think the problem is that when a large company like adobe or ms write
help, they take real-life dumb newbies and try various approaches to
see what works best. When it comes to linux online docs, those who write
them don't really understand what newbies need, so they either write terse
man pages, or get tired of getting frequently asked questions and just
write everything (we don't know what happened before big bang, but [...]).

It's sad how every newbie is disgusted by lack of good optimized for the common
case docs, and naively promises to himself to correct that as soon as he gets
the hang of things (i know i did), and then when he does, he no longer
remembers what would be helpful to him when he was a newbie.

--
True sailing is dead
        - Jim