[Tutor] Typos and attitudes on language

Paul De Luca pdeluca@sia.net.au
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:34:58 +1000 (EST)

Yeah,
     You should read the posts on slashdot. If you argue a point be sure
that the spelling/grammar is perfect otherwise  your argument will have
its "legs cut off". ESR's hacker howto makes the following remarks:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

"Learn to write your native language well. Though it's a common stereotype
that programmers can't write, a surprising number of hackers (including
all the  best ones I know of) are able writers."

"Finally, a few things not to do.

      Don't use a silly, grandiose user ID or screen name.

      Don't get in flame wars on Usenet (or anywhere else).

      Don't call yourself a `cyberpunk', and don't waste your time on
      anybody who does.

      Don't post or email writing that's full of spelling errors and bad
      grammar.

The only reputation you'll make doing any of these things is as a
twit. Hackers have long memories -- it could take you years to live your
early blunders down enough to be accepted."

> what an interesting thought!!!
>
> i am paranoid about misspellings and cannot stand looking at
> a misspelled word.  my spouse frowns upon my correcting her
> spelling, and i always thought it was just me, but you may
> have a Psych disseration here!  :-)
>
> -wesley

Paul De Luca
Email: pdeluca@sia.net.au