[Tutor] Returning a variable from a module

Paul De Luca pdeluca@sia.net.au
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 01:13:16 +1000 (EST)

Thanks,
       I have used return before but until now have never really
understood what was going on. I tried it first, but I was returning the
config dictionary in the module, then referencing it directly just like
any other variable I had created in the main code.

> for n in range(0, len(configList)):
>   configList[n] = string.rstrip(configList[n])
>   configList[n] = string.lstrip(configList[n])
>   configList[n] = string.replace(configList[n], '\012', '')
>
>   Be...
>
> for n in range(0, (len(configList)-1)):
> configList[n] = string.rstrip(configList[n])
> configList[n] = string.lstrip(configList[n])
> configList[n] = string.replace(configList[n], '\012', '')
>
>   ??  Either that or I really am poor tonight :)
>
>   HTH,
>   Glen.

No, range is up to, but not including the last
argument. To quote the docs:

"To iterate over the indices of a sequence, combine range() and len() as
 follows:

      >>> a = ['Mary', 'had', 'a', 'little', 'lamb']
      >>> for i in range(len(a)):
      ...     print i, a[i]
      0 Mary
      1 had
      2 a
      3 little
      4 lamb"

I think we are both really poor tonight ;)