[Tutor] Learning 1.5.2 vs 2.0

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:37:53 +0100

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

Sez Kojo Idrissa:
> This is related to Tim's question about diffs between the two languages. =
 I=20
> know a few people wanting to learn Python (I'm still learning myself), bu=
t=20
> I'm not sure about:
>=20
> 1.  Should I tell them to get 1.5.2 or 2.0?

I see no reason to recommend 1.5.2.  2.0 should be nicely backwards
compatible, except for some standard library modules.  But those changes are
all for the better, so there's no reason not to learn them right away.

> 2.  If 2.0, are books like 'Learning Python' , 'Python Essential=20
> Reference', etc (the books I have)less applicable?  If so, what books=20
> should they look at?

'Python Essential Reference' is somewhat outdated, but not much, IMO.  I
haven't read 'Learning Python', but I suspect it works well with 2.0.

It should be possible to learn using 1.5.2 with 2.0, and it's easier to go
on learning the new stuff if you have it... <wink>

HTH,
  Kalle
--=20
Email: kalle@gnupung.net     | You can tune a filesystem, but you
Web: http://www.gnupung.net/ | can't tune a fish. -- man tunefs(8)
PGP fingerprint: 0C56 B171 8159 327F 1824 F5DE 74D7 80D7 BF3B B1DD

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV--