[Tutor] dialer

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:54:18 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, [ISO-8859-1] J=F6rg W=F6lke wrote:

> Is there any example code for a modem-dialer.
> My own using open(MODEMPORT,'r+') wouldn't work and I cannot figure out
> why.

Hello!  Hmmm; it sounds like you're working with a UNIX system; can you
make sure that you have the correct permissions on your modem port?  Make
sure that a simple

    echo "ATDT 1234567" > MODEMPORT

works first.  Also, does the open call fail, or something afterwards?

If you're working with Windows, you may need to use a serial port library. =
=20
faqts.python.org mentions a Windows module here:

    http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/3888/fid/235

The Vaults of Parnassus report that there are at least two serial port
libraries you can choose from, win32comm and the Win32 Serial
Communications Module:

    http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py?find=3Dserial

    http://www.uconect.net/~wheineman/python/win32comm.zip
    http://starship.python.net/crew/roger/