[Tutor] Up All Night with IDLE.

Robert Groenewegen robert.groenewegen@zonnet.nl
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:57:05 +0100

Dear Tesla,

I have had the same trouble after using 'import' in the python shell. IDLE (and Python) have nice
features (like ctrl-f5) but I can not get used to this stuff. I have red something about 'reload' in the
manual but I prefer a more old-fashioned way.

1) I write a very simple script like 'test.py'

# testscript
import foo
foo.foobar()

open a command shell, and after saving the source in IDLE, I enter "python test.py" (and use F3
for the next test)

2) I create a link on my desktop which I double-click after saving the source

3) I create the source-file on my desktop and after defining the correct 'open' and 'edit' in the
Windows Explorer, I can double-click the icons

edit -> c:\python20\pythonw.exe c:\python20\tools\idle\idle.py -e "%1"
open -> C:\Python20\pythonw.exe "%1" %

The goal of these methods is to invoke a new shell (and clean environment too). The methods
are a little bit Windows-style but they can be implemented in the Unix shell too. This way of
testing (always do a fresh start) have saved me in several operating systems.

Regards, Robert