[Tutor] setting object to None doesn't kill Word

Mallett, Roger rmallett@rational.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:02:48 -0800

System: Windows 2000, Office 2000

I am on page 67-68 of Mark Hammond's book "Python Programming on Win32" and
I can't seem to kill Word by setting the object to None.

I did the following:

>>> import win32com.client
>>> x1 = win32.com.client.Dispatch('Excel.Application')

At this point an instance of Excel has been created and I see it listed in
the Task Manager.  Next I will kill the Excel object

>>>x1 = None

The Excel instance has been terminated.  I can now longer see it listed in
Task Manager

Now, if I try the same with Word

>>> x1=win32.com.client.Dispatch('Word.Application')

I can see Word in the Task Manager.  However, if I try to kill it, it
doesn't go away.

>>> x1=None		# this doesn't work.  Why Not?

I am wondering if this is a Win2K specific issue and if there is another way
to kill the task besides changing the python object.

Any assistance in understanding this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Roger Mallett